Maori Cultural Experience and Tour – 5 hours
Experience true kiwi cultural hospitality by being picked up from your *accommodation or The Town Basin to begin your journey and connection with our whanau. A traditional Maori powhiri/welcoming ceremony awaits your arrival into our home, where you will be immersed in our culture and protocols that we still hold strong to today.
To conclude our powhiri/welcoming ceremony, the most important part is the sharing of food. This cements our connection as one. Once our puku/stomachs have been satisfied, maori mythology, weaving, waiata/singing and other traditional activities will prepare you for the making of your own lunch, the Hangi, with a modern day twist.
We will leave lunch to cook whilst you are taken on a journey visiting some of our favourite iconic places around our home, Whangarei – Terenga Paraoa where we share the beauty and stories of Aotearoa through our eyes. We will return home to the smell and enticement that you can only get from a Hangi, ready for your enjoyment.
After fulfilling your mind, body and soul, we conclude our day with a traditional poroporoake/farewell ceremony before you are returned back to your accommodation or the Town Basin.
This is an unforgettable 5 hour experience from pick up at 9am to drop off at 2pm.
- Within Whangarei City Business District
- Powhiri – Traditional welcoming ceremony
- Morning tea – Home made maori bread and locally made condiments
- Waiata – Learn a well known maori song
- Weaving – Make a flower from korari – flax
- Pa Sites and sightseeing – A tour around some of our breathtaking sights of Whangarei where we share the beauty and stories of our area.
- Hakari – Preparing and enjoying your own hangi lunch using all locally grown produce.
- Poroporoake – Traditional farewell ceremony
- Fresh Fruit, juice, water, tea and coffee facilities included
Go to booking page or contact us 09 437 5651 or 021 507 826
OR…. Try a “Taste of Tu Tika Tours”
Maori Cultural Experience and Tour – 1 – 1.5 hours
Itinerary – as per tikanga or protocol
- Kai karanga – Welcoming call
- Whakatau – An introduction and welcome to Whangarei – Terenga Paraoa – The Gateway to the North
- Tour – We share our stories of Aotearoa through our eyes whilst visiting some of Whangarei’s most special places to visit – Otuihau Whangarei Falls, Parihaka and Te Ahipupurangi.
- Waiata – Learn a maori song along the way.
- Poroporoake – Farewell and best wishes
Includes pick-up and drop-off from Whangarei City accommodation or either I-Site information centres.
$50 NZD per person (min 2)
Contact us today! 09 437 5651 or 021 507 826