Maori Cultural Experience and Tour – 5 hours
You will immediately feel welcomed and at ease with your personal guides as you experience the warmth of true Maori cultural hospitality by being picked up from your *accommodation or the visitor centres to begin your journey and connection with our whanau – family. A traditional Maori powhiri/welcoming ceremony awaits your arrival into our own home, where you will be immersed in our culture and protocols that we still hold strong to today.
To conclude our powhiri, the most important part is the sharing of food. This cements our connection as one. Once our puku/stomachs have been satisfied, maori mythology, weaving, waiata/singing and other traditional activities will prepare you for the making of your own lunch, the Hangi, with a modern day twist.
We will leave lunch to cook whilst you are taken on a journey visiting some of our favourite places around our home Whangarei, where we share the beauty and stories of Aotearoa through our eyes. We will return home to the smell and enticement that you can only get from a Hangi, ready for your enjoyment.
After fulfilling your mind, body and soul, we conclude our day with a traditional whakawatea/farewell before you are returned back to your pick-up point.
This is an unforgettable 5 hour experience from pick up at 9am to drop off at 2pm. Sure to create memories and connections that will last a lifetime.
- Within Whangarei City
- Powhiri – Traditional welcoming ceremony
- Morning tea – Home made maori bread and locally made condiments
- Waiata – Learn a well known maori song
- Weaving – Make a flower from korari – flax
- Pa Sites and sightseeing – A tour around some of our breathtaking sights of Whangarei where we share the beauty and stories of our area.
- Hakari – Preparing and enjoying your own hangi lunch using all locally grown produce.
- Whakawatea – Traditional farewell
- All meals and beverages are inclusive
Go to booking page or contact us 09 437 5651 or 021 507 826
OR…. Try a “Taste of Tu Tika Tours”
Maori Cultural Experience and Tour – 2 hours
If you have limited time here in Whangarei, this tour may be more suitable.
- Kai karanga – Welcoming call
- Whakatau – An introduction and welcome to Whangarei – Terenga Paraoa – The Gateway to the North
- Tour – We share our stories of Aotearoa through our eyes whilst visiting some of Whangarei’s most special places to visit – Otuihau Whangarei Falls, Parihaka and Pohe’s Bridge.
- Waiata – Learn a maori song along the way.
- Whakawatea – Farewell and best wishes
Includes pick-up and drop-off from Whangarei City accommodation or either I-Site visitor information centres.
$95 NZD per person (min 2)
Contact us now! We might be available to pick you up within the hour 09 437 5651 or 021 507 826